Ideas from the Global Group.
- Sister city arrangement with a sustainable community -
- Woking - has developed its own power generation system.
- Davis in California was suggested as a possibility - similar environmental interest groups in both.
- Model Armidale as a city seeking to become sustainable and
- export the learning as we go through the process.
- Take this opportunity now.
- Rebirth of coalition of environmental groups in Armidale.
- Ageing of the population in Armidale is
- potentially both a strength and an opportunity -
- provide support and services/growth industry/
- facilitate ageing in place.
- Cost of fuel - diesel as a product is artificially inflated.
- Biodiesal was discussed, but
- there are issues associated with the conversion of food production to bio fuels -
- globally this is unsustainable and causes food shortages in other parts of the world.
- Biodiesal was discussed, but
- Capacity to network with the CRCs for sustainability and relevant environmental CRCs.
- Lack of investment in rail
- seen as being due to a strong transport lobby.
- Need greater investment in rail -
- better very fast train service -
- needs track upgrading.
- All the way to Brisbane?
- Overnight service to Sydney suits working people better.
- Bus company -
- needs to provide better service which
- enables people to get to work efficiently.
- Mary Devine is working on these regions … Regional transport coordinator.
- Create global networks for sustainable living …
- sister city idea is a good one.
- Look overseas for good practice in energy descent planning -
- the Transition Town network provides some good examples.
- Learn from other communities.
- Global work communities … e.g.
- women in a village in northern Ireland deal with all the medical records for Boston Hospital.
- Shortage of low cost housing in Armidale.
- Population hasn't increased in number of houses, but
- occupany of households has gone form 4.6 to 2.3 -
- houses getting larger.
- We are likely to have climate change refugees coming here -
- some local organisations place people here.
- Need to be able to provide for these people.
- History has shown that services follow if the capital investment is made in bringing people here.
- Idea of fostering global industry -
- encouraging the set up of supply industries overseas e.g.
- for wind turbines or solar power.
- We could do the research and development here
- (link with UNE) and production abroad.
- Promote Armidale on trade delegations as a sustainable place.
- Develop trade links with countries which produce what we need and
- swap with what we can supply.
- Revitalise local food industries to reduce dependence on global imports.
Three Action Priorities
- Support existing initiatives which are learning from other international communities e.g. Sustainable Living Armidale/Transiition Towns/a sustainable sister city (e.g. Woking)
- Consolidate, grow and export our increasing knowledge about sustainability.
- Promote Armidale as striving to be a sustainable community - our brand should be as a thriving, sustainable community.
Posted By Global Forum to New England Sustainability Strategy at 9/22/2008 02:50:00 P
Conversation Map of Global Sustainability Analysis
Detailed Global Sustainability Analysis